|THE HISTORY OF BUCKOUT ROAD
|FINALLY...a book all about
|The city of White Plains and town of Harrison within the suburban NYC county of Westchester are
known for a few things. There's multiple shopping malls, an arena which hosts the home games of
the NY Knicks' developmental team, the headquarters for multiple Fortune 500 companies like
Pepsi and IBM, and of course the home of an alleged haunted street called Buckout Road.
The book gets a lot more in depth and into additional topics such as The Leatherman, the birth of
Pro Wrestling, the farm with the slaughter house, and more however here's a brief overview.
|During the 1600's a Native American tribe called The
Siwanoy inhabited the land on and around what is
now Buckout Road. Also during the 1600's the
Buckhout family relocated from Holland to
Westchester County, NY.
Sachem (Chief) Wampage of the Siwanoy is known
for the killing and scalping of Anne Hutchinson in the
nearby Bronx. They are also known as the creators
of the first urban legend pertaining to the area of
There were several battles an raids between the
Siwanoy and European settlers in the area. By 1695
a Quaker named John Harrison owned the land
which is now the town of Harrison where Buckout
Road is located.
The Quakers, who were White, did not believe in
slavery. They believed that the act of slavery was non-
Christian and therefore freed their slaves between
1773 and 1783 and were given land to farm in the
Stony Hill area in West Harrison by one of the Friends
(Quaker), Frederick Stephens. This predates the law of
1817 which stated that all African Americans in New
York State who were born before July 4, 1799 would be
free as of July 4, 1827.
In the first U.S. Census Report of the year 1790, the
Township of Harrison was listed as having a population
of 1,156, including 54 slaves. The area known as Stony
Hill is located on Buckout Road. This area was the site
of the largest population of African Americans in
Westchester County at the time (which at the time
included parts of The Bronx). Stony Hill cemetery is
part of this area, as are two stone buildings which are
in the woods off of Buckout Road. Stony Hill cemetery
holds the remains of freed slaves as well as Black war
veterans. The 1867 FW Beers Atlas shows that the Hills
community included a school and a church.The
cemetery was allegedly first listed in 1983 as historic
site by the Westchester Historical Society, however a
sign marking the cemetery didn’t arrive until 1999, 16
More on the Stony Hill community, the Quakers, and the
Underground Railroad in the book. Additionally hear
about alleged ghost sightings in the Stony Hill cemetery.
Map from 1900
There was a two day battle between the Colonists and the
Redcoats at The Horton Grist Mill off of Lake Street (a few
blocks from Buckout Road) in White Plains during the
Revolutionary War. British troops attempted to raid George
Washington's supplies which was stored at the nearby
mill. George Washington made his headquarters at the
Jacob Purdy house a few miles away.
Several members of the Buckhout family fought in the war.
Troops were encamped on one of the Buckhout's farms.
General William Heath utilized the home of Gilbert Hatfield
on (what is now) Hall Ave as a headquarters in November
In the book, find out about how a Buckhout woman was
killed by a troop and what led to her one armed lover being
brutally murdered and hacked to pieces. Plus the real
people which served as inspiration for several of
Washington Irving's characters for The Legend of Sleepy
Hollow, the story of Major Andre's capture, the connection
between the Buckhouts and George Washington's
headquarters, and more.
Isaac Van Wart Buckhout lived was named after one of the heroic men that apprehended Major Andre. Isaac
married Ann Louisa Coope in 1860, however their marriage was not a happy one. Isaac consistently thought his wife
was being unfaithful and two of the individuals he suspected was his hunting buddy and neighbor Alfred Rendall and
his son Charles.
On New Years Day 1870, Alfred and Charles were guests at the Buckhout home. As Ann Louisa was in the kitchen,
Alfred and Charles enjoyed a glass of cider in the living room area of the Buckhout home. Isaac then excused
himself to the bedroom and returned with a shotgun. He stood in the doorway of the room and fired at Alfred
Rendall, killing him. He then swung the gun around and emptied the second barrel at Charles. Part of the charge hit
him in the left side of the head, which broke the glass goblet which he was drinking from. Glass shattered with
pieces embedded in his eye and forehead, leaving him blinded in one eye and covered in blood. Isaac then went into
the kitchen where he beat his wife to death with the gun, crushing her skull and breaking the gun. Isaac fled.
Moments later a confused Charles staggered to the body of his father, shook him, but he was gone.
Learn MUCH more about this incident which led Isaac Buckhout to being dubbed "The Mad Murderer of Sleepy
Hollow" in the book. Including details of his life, witness accounts, Isaac's arrest, his theory that Westchester
County was under masonic control, and his time in jail at White Plains including a suicide attempt and seeing
ghosts! Plus quotes from Isaac Buckhout on the murders, his explanation for his actions, and information on
As clean cut as this crime might appear, Isaac Buckhout went to trial three times at White Plains and rumors
persisted that an attack on the jail would take place to free him. Isaac was hanged in White Plains at age 39 in
1872. The book also details Isaac's last days, his interactions with his brother Benjamin at the gallows, his burial
place, and more.
If you've traveled on Buckout Road, it's likely you've seen the pictured sign
for Baldwin Farm. The farm dates back to the 1700's when it was owned by
the Foster family and called Pine Tree Farm. John Foster and his wife
Elizabeth Marsh Foster had nearly a dozen children and the farm was
passed down through the generations. The farm once extended for 22
acres and included a small cemetery.
John & Elizabeth had four daughters. Deborah Foster married Frederick
Stephens, the Quaker that helped free slaves and gave them land to live on.
Elizabeth Ann Foster married a carpenter named John Quincy Adams
Buckhout. Their son is John Foster Buckhout, whose grave is visible on
Buckout Road in the Foster Buckhout cemetery which used to be Pine Tree
The farm remained in the family for generations with James Foster and his
wife Mary becoming eventual owners. After James' death, Mary sold the
farm to their daughter Sarah and her husband Horace Baldwin in 1863.
It was was renamed Baldwin Farm and the family farming tradition
continued. In 1971 an arson fire burned down two of the barns. The city of
White Plains purchased the property for $300,000 in 1973 with the intention
of turning it into parkland. The last 'Farmer Baldwin' remained living on the
property until his death in 1979. In 1982 the farm was completely destroyed
by another arson fire. No arrests were made.
In spite of the city of White Plains purchasing the 22 acre farm located at
500 Hall Avenue for $300,000 in 1974 to be used as a park, it has been
largely undeveloped except for a few community gardens. In 2016 twenty
nine goats were ‘hired’ to live on the farm land for several months. They
were ‘employed’ to remove overgrowth, including poison ivy. The farm’s
temporary residents made local News 12 cable news after some managed
to escape from their fenced-in enclosure.
Much more on the Fosters and Baldwins in the book including a look into the
life of the last 'Farmer Baldwin' including first hand information from his
former neighbors and the junior high school student that found his body.
Mary Foster was said to have hanged herself in the nearby Quaker church.
Allegedly her ghost haunts the family cemetery.
Plus a look at another infamous farm in the area, known by old school
Buckout Road travelers for its slaughterhouses, and how it made nation
Located where Hall Avenue becomes Buckout Road
sits the grave of John F Buckhout and his wife
Charlotte Cowan Buckhout. As the grave sticks as the
only one in the cemetery, rumors have persisted for
years as to who the man who died in 1915 was.
Rumors of him being a slave owner and a murderer are
false. You can read the truth about John Buckhout and
who he and his wife were in the book.
In the late 1970's there was a ghoulish raid on the
cemetery. Gravestones were stolen and the there
were freshly dug holes in the cemetery. Police
investigated and theorized that the corpses of John
and Charlotte Buckhout may have been stolen!
The book recaps the incident with quotes from
Buckhout descendants and the police's utterly
shocking theory as to why the corpses were stolen.
Many have claimed to have had ghostly experiences at
this small cemetery. Photographs often capture what
may be orbs and plasmas. The road where the
cemetery is located used to be a steep hill before 2001
construction leveled it. Rumor was it was a 'gravity
hill'; if you put the car in neutral, the car would move
itself over the hill.
This small cemetery was once owned by the Foster
family. The Foster Buckhout burial ground is property
of the city of White Plains yet you may notice that
there's only one grave stone in it. The more puzzling
part is that over 50 people are buried here, and there's
no markers because they were all stolen or removed.
22 of those buried in the cemetery died before the age
of 20, some were just small children.
The White Plains Historical Society has stated
numerous times dating back to 2001 that a memorial
would be placed in the cemetery to recognize those
buried there, however that hasn't happened.
Perhaps something can be done?
|Over 50 people are buried in this small cemetery including:
Almira, Ann, Anne E, Elijah, John, John B, Joseph, Mary, and Matilda
Emline, Harriet, Mary Ann, Phebe, and Sophia
George, John, Margaret, Mary, Thomas
Isaac, Joseph, Mary G, Mary L, William, Moses, Solomon
Angeline, Epenetus, Epenetus Jr, George, John Henry, Mary, Susan
Andrew, Caleb, Caleb Jr, Eva, George, John, Theodore
Josephine and Willie Carpenter
John QA, Elizabeth, John F, Charlotte, Isaac F, Nancy
|The Stony Hill cemetery on Buckout Road was established in 1800.
It was at one time referred to as Cemetery of the Asbury Colored Peoples Church
and also as the Buckhout Road Colored Cemetery.
Between 200-400 people that once lived in the Stony Hill community are believed to
be buried in the 6.5 acre cemetery including Civil War veterans.
It was deemed a historical landmark in June 1999. A sign marking the cemetery was
finally erected later that year. It incorrectly spells Stony Hill Cemetery as "Stoney"
In present day 2017, the site has small American flags placed throughout however
seemingly in random places and not actually on grave sites of war veterans. Not
sure what the purpose of this practice is exactly. Below is a picture to the cemetery
entrance taken in April 2017.
Majority of the graves are unreadable. In spite of various groups claiming to engage
in restoration projects there is no monument, sign, or marker listing the names of
those buried at the cemetery.